20 June, 2012

Necessity's Younger Sister

Our last unit in Psychology dealt with intelligence and creativity. 
 At two units per week this is not just an introduction - it is a cursory introduction.  
It discussed convergent and divergent thinking and
the role they play in creativity.
They didn't, however, mention one factor that I have always considered a 
major underlying motivation for creativity:
budgetary constraints.

 One of the first things people told us about the house in Grimes was that the railing
between the kitchen and *family* room had to be changed.  
Paint it.  Replace it. Something.
It just hasn't been a priority.

So, the other day as I was walking dogs inspiration struck.
That may be hyperbolic but I did have an idea.


Cover half the openings with paper.  
Parchment, rice, handmade, gift wrap - something would surely work.


Here is my first attempt - done over the weekend.

I like it.  
Opaque but not restrictive.

It's wax paper.

Today I changed it to this:

which I like better.
It's crumpled wax paper.


Here's a closer look at the texture:

Measure, crumple, uncrumple, cut and apply with scotch tape.

No comments: